Friday, December 27, 2013

Learning to Accept the Unacceptable

NOTE:  I wrote this one day months ago when I was processing God's (grace) gift of childlessness. "Gift?", you say? Well, I've learned/am learning that anything (even not getting what you wanted the most!), once it is submitted to God, can become a gift of His grace.

In order to accept the unacceptable you have to look at it from a different perspective.  You can't only look at the surface or take things at face value.  You have to go deeper - and higher.

You go deeper to your roots and foundation of faith and trust and surrender to WHO God is; to His love and care and promises.  You choose to remember that He is all-knowing and all-powerful and He knows why He allows what He allows.  Even when it hurts and you know you might never understand this side of Heaven.  But you trust and you accept His will because you know His love and grace and mercy.  You have tasted it and you know it is good.  In that you can find rest.

You go higher to your hope, your conviction of Eternity.  You know this life on earth is only temporary; that the things you hope for and dream of having and doing here on earth will eventually be gone and you must invest the resources of time and energy and desire wisely.  You must invest them in Him - in your relationship with Him - because when it's all said and done, He is all that matters.  You mustn't get pulled into the trap of wanting, desiring, craving what you don't have.

You learn to accept and appreciate your own lot in life and you choose to look at all the positive and the pro's and you open your eyes to see what you have gained through your loss.

That's what walking with Jesus enables you to do!  Surrendering your very self to Him, He helps you see what you couldn't see before.  He helps you understand even though you can't explain.  He helps you accept the hard things life brings.  And He even helps you to appreciate them.

And you start to understand that His grace is personalized.  "It's My grace for you" He said to me a decade and a half ago.  And I've repeated His words to myself a million times or more since then.  "It's His grace for me!"  "It's Your grace for Me!"  And I thank Him for His grace for me.

And while I don't fully understand, He has given me a glimpse and He's allowed me to see with my heart that yes, it truly is His grace for me.  And I trust and I rest in Him and His grace.  I stop my questioning and doubting and resenting and my wanting and I let go and trust and rest in Him.

I believe what He says.  And there I find rest for my troubled soul. There I find freedom and peace.  His Peace that is beyond comprehension.

And I learn that His grace is sufficient.

2 Corinthians 12:9 (AMP)

But He said to me, My grace (My favor and loving-kindness and mercy) is enough for you [sufficient against any danger and enables you to bear the trouble manfully]; for My strength and power are made perfect (fulfilled and completed) and show themselves most effective in [your] weakness. Therefore, I will all the more gladly glory in my weaknesses and infirmities, that the strength and power of Christ (the Messiah) may rest (yes, may pitch a tent over and dwell) upon me!